Top tips for successful at-home blood collection
Collecting a capillary blood sample from a simple finger prick is a convenient way to gain valuable insights into your health. The sample can be collected in the comfort of your own home, and following the advice below can make this simple and successful.
- Take your time - Read the instructions carefully before starting to collect the sample.
- Hydrate - Ensure you're well hydrated before attempting to collect the blood sample
- Wash your hands - Before the test wash your hands with warm water for at least 2 minutes, then dry your hands with a clean towel. Wash your hands again after the test.
- Shake and rub hands - Try to get the circulation going in your hands (like you do when it’s winter and your hands are cold).
- Move your body to improve circulation - Try to do some very light exercise before attempting to collect your sample.
- Do not smoke - Smoking immediately before blood collection can affect circulation
- Cut your nails - Short nails are best. Blood can pool behind long nails, making it difficult to get the blood into the tube
- Allow enough time - Collecting a blood sample typically takes about 15 mins. It can take a little longer if you need to collect more than one sample
- Position your arm - Keep your arm below heart level at all times when collecting the blood sample
- Don’t squeeze your fingers - Squeezing blocks blood supply. You want to gently milk your finger to encourage blood flow.